Fashion events bring out huge opportunities for fashion bloggers to broaden their network. Contrary to popular belief, fashion events are not only about dressing up and showing up. You are not just there to create content for your Instagram. After attending a few events, there are certain points I would like to highlight that I personally feel everyone needs to take note of.
BE STYLISH, BE UNIQUE
This one is obvious.
You are likely to meet people from different backgrounds – the designers, photographers and organisers; but what makes you stand out most in the crowd is your outfit.
- The outfit you wear describes your personality and the more unique your outfit, the more approachable you appear.
- And mind you, by saying unique I do not intend you to wear a ridiculously quirky outfit to a Louis Vuitton show! (That, my dear friends, would be completely inappropriate). However, a quirky style statement might work for a Gucci event. Be wise with choosing the right outfit for the right event.
- While attending an event, many would ask you about your look, so make sure you are in a state to deliver. Invest in your outfit.
MAKE GREAT CONTENT
If you happen to be a fashion event virgin, take full advantage of the opportunity presented to you so as to create the best content and produce near-perfect pictures.
This can be your ticket to future fashion events.
- YOUR OUTFIT CAN BE A GAMECHANGER. As I have already mentioned earlier, the more unique your outfit, the better. No points for guessing because as we are aware, fashion events are largely covered by the press, magazines, etc. Although getting spotted does not guarantee collaborations, but getting the press-attention can be your game-changer as a blogger.
- PHOTOGRAPHERS in an event are in search of new content too. Never ask to get photographed but if you happen to get snapped, be nice and don’t feel shy to ask them if they would be able to mail you the photographs. This is your baby-step to networking.
- Try to gain inside ACCESS without appearing sneaky. You will not only learn more about the models/designer/artistes but it will raise the weightage of the content for your blog.
This is the hardest thing to do, especially if you are an introvert like I am. But here I am, sharing with you a few simple tips on connecting with people in any event.
- INTRODUCE yourself by your name (not your entire bio-data, though).
Simply, your name.
If the latter is interested in a conversation, they’ll ask.
- NEVER ask anyone their profession or their handle. Also, NEVER assume their names to be their handles. BIG MISTAKE!
- MAKE an effort to talk to people. You never know what’s down the road. At the same time, don’t be disheartened or take it personally if the person does not reciprocate.
- Do FOLLOW UP with whoever you have talked to at the events you have attended to keep your communication game strong.
I remember the first event I attended to be a total nightmare. I didn’t connect with anyone as I was conscious of all that could go wrong. In the process of harbouring self-doubt, I forgot to have some fun. Don’t be me.
I would love to know if this helped and do share your experience of the events that you have already attended or will be attending.
THANK YOU for sticking around !